Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Fire alarms and fun

I had my first super embarrassing moment at school yesterday. My after school cooking club and I were making Mexican corn cookies in the teachers' kitchen. Something was (already - I swear it was already there) on the bottom of the oven and when I opened the door to check on the cookies... smoke started billowing out! One of the kids said, “It would be funny if the fire alarm went off right now.” Guess what happened 10 seconds later.... Yup, the fire alarm started screeching and the lights started flashing. Everyone in the school evacuated, I told the principal what happened, and then had to show the cops/firemen (who were fully dressed in their gear by the way, complete with axes) where the problem was and explain it. Highly embarrassing. Even though I wanted to cry (I didn’t, go me!) I tried to make light of the situation with the other staff members. That wasn’t too hard since they were busy cracking jokes and mocking me (in a friendly way). I think my reputation at this school after I leave will be “Remember when that first year Spanish teacher had the school evacuated because of something she was baking?” At least it’s a great story. Oh and on the upside? The cookies turned out perfect!

Mexican Corn Masa Cookies
 Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine 4 cups instant corn masa mix, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
Step 2: In another bowl, beat 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening and 1/2 butter together. (At room temperature)
Step 3: Beat dry ingredients into butter mixture with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a firm but pliable dough. (I ended up not using all the dry mixture and mixing with my hands.) Work in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
 Step 4: Pinch off walnut-sized pieces of dough, shape into balls, and press onto ungreased baking sheet. Press 5-6 pumpkin seeds (I used sunflower seeds since I couldn't find pumpkin seeds in the store) in a petal form on each cookie. You can use a cinnamon candy as the center.
Step 5: Bake 10-13 minutes and enjoy! This is a picture of a cookie pre-baking time. I didn't get a picture afterwards because of all of the excitement from the fire alarm. It looked the same though, just a little more golden-brown. 

I've never had these before but I would make them again! Next time, I'll be sure to clean the oven before I turn it on.

1 comment: