Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Teaching in the Target Language

While reading this season's print of the Foreign Language Annals, I came across something truly awesome. This particular project studied "The Effect of Target Language (TL) and Code-Switching on the Grammatical Performance and Perceptions of Elementary-Level College French Students."I believe that this project can be adapted to any language as well as any age. There would have to be some adjustments in teaching to create age appropriate lessons, but the overall effect would be the same. I think reading the abstract sums up pretty well why it is important to stay in the TL.

"Grammar instruction is at the center of the TL and code-switching debate. Discussion revolves around whether grammar should be taught in the TL or using the TL and the native language (L1). This study investigated the effects of French-only grammar instruction and French/English grammar instruction on elementary-level students' grammar performance. The study also examined students' instructional preference and perceptions of the use of either approach to teach grammar and French in general. Grammar test score increases were significantly greater for the French-only condition, and posttest grammar scores were significantly higher for the French-only conditions. Qualitative findings suggested that although a majority of students expressed a preference for learning French grammar with the support of English, they recognized the benefits of a TL approach."


Yes, it is harder to teach while only staying in the TL. Yes, it may be slower and more frustrating. But this is proof that it is worth it and students will have a better grasp on the language after such a program. This is why I teach the way I do (both staying as much as possible in the TL and sometimes breaking down to student wishes and supporting my lessons with English). This is why I am going to strive to break into English less often. My goal has been and will continue to be 90% or more in the TL during my lessons. I want my students to be surprised that I can speak English just as well as them (I have gotten that comment before and I smile every time). This should be every language teacher's goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment