Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So much to do... so little time...

As I have posted about before, I am currently doing a mini TPRS unit with my fifth grade classes. The creating of the stories went really, really well and I was pleased with the end results. As a follow up, I wanted the kids to draw pictures about the story that their class created to make sure they understood what it was about, translate a new (but similar) story with a friend, and then read some of the stories that other classes created. I had hoped this would take just over a week... about one activity per lesson. However, I quickly realized that my goals were too ambitious with the time constraints of my class and so I eliminated the last step. However, it has taken 2 weeks (6 classes.... about 3 hours of Spanish time) and I still have students that aren't quite finished. I don't know if I made the story too difficult to translate (although my higher-level students finished it quickly--probably means I need to differentiate more) or if I let them spend too much time drawing their pictures when that was supposed to be something quick, or if the interference of never-ending assemblies at my school have messed too much with my schedule and I didn't have my classes as long as I thought. I believe it is probably a combination of all 3 factors, and more that I cannot think of. I do not differentiate nearly as much as I should for my classes and that showed with this activity. However, there are some things that I cannot control so I need to be flexible. All this comes with experience and I am definitely on a learning curve right now. On a positive note, I was able to change and adapt my lesson plans based on the circumstances, which is step one to developing an appropriate curriculum. I am learning every day what it takes to be a great teacher and this learning process will never stop. Even though I do get frustrated sometimes, I am very happy to be where I am and doing what I'm doing. I am learning on the job every single day and I like to think that I am improving every single day as well. We all have good days and bad days, good lessons and lessons that need improvement but so far, I've had many more good days and good lessons than not, so this year is going pretty well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment